"My DVD won’t play though there’s no scratch!" Preserving Your CD/VCD/DVD/Blu-ray Collection

By Nabil Bakri

Last Updated: 4 January 2021

Private Collection

Now, I want to start this article by telling you my story. I bought a DVD, the original one from a DVD store nearby, not in some small store in some street. I bought couples of pirated DVDs long time ago, just because I couldn’t afford original DVDs, I was in elementary school and the only affordable format for average student in most Asian countries is VCD. The picture quality sucks if you watch a VCD in a flat or curved screen, it wasn’t that good even in old square TVs, pretty much like VHS but I’m not going to talk about this now. The point is that I definitely bought an original DVD and Fox advertised that a pirated DVD will spoil your enjoyment in watching a movie but an original one ‘virtually last forever’ (this one is from Sony). Today I’m gonna say, “Really?” Recently I revisited the so called original DVD with a happy face that there’s no scratch on the silvery side, no dust, no fingerprints, and definitely no black dots or whatever that we movie folks call the ‘rot’. I know exactly what DVD rot is and the disc of mine has definitely no rot. So, it preserved! But my DVD player gave me a slap to find out that the disc won’t play.


Okay, there’s got to be a solution for this. First, you have to make sure that there’s nothing wrong with the disc. Fine, I rechecked the disc’s surface. It’s flawless. Then, the next step: try it on a different DVD player. Usually, if a disc won’t play in a DVD player and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the disc, it’ll play in other DVD players, computer’s DVD-ROM, and, most unplayable DVDs are playable on Blu-ray players, similar to many VCDs won’t play on VCD players but flawlessly played by DVD players. Well, I did try THREE other DVD players, two laptops just to check using the DVD drive inside them, and a Blu-ray player. Still, the disc won’t play. What’s wrong? I bought a 15 years old DVD (new condition! The last stock from the store), it’s Disney’s The Great Mouse Detective. Heck, it works just fine! The DVD I told you before was just 1 year old. What the f*** is going on? I paid like…$10 for the film. DVD is freakin’ expensive in Indonesia and Blu-ray, wow, the regular one is almost $40 each and most Indonesian collectors buy Blu-rays from Amazon (esp. in black Friday!). So damn it, I’m damned!


Turns out, I’m not the only one experiencing this. As of today, I lost about $200 (probably more) from broken DVDs, they just gone mad with practically no reason. Okay, if there’s scratch or rot, at least the reason is clear. But, God, do you hate optical discs nowadays? And it happen not only on DVD. Years ago I thought that VCD is tougher because I never see a rotten CD so if I bought a VCD and I keep it for 10 years and I want to watch it again, I won’t find any trouble. But no, VCDs and CDs are also affected. But the thing is, I’ve never found broken VCD’s without any of these signs: scratches, rot, whatever. So, no flawless VCD is unplayable, unlike the DVD I’ve told you in two previous paragraphs. And you think blu ray is the answer for our problem. I’m sorry to say that the answer is no.

Now, give me the answer why this curse happen to me and many of DVD folks around the world? Is it humidity? Heck, humidity can cause rot and there’s apparently no sign of that. After checking it all out, I know that this is not the fault of us buyers, our players, and also not the fault of our environment with its destructive non collector friendly curse called humidity, it’s the fault of those manufacturers so I want to say WE PAY, SUCKERS! Now, here’s the thing. Many studios such as Disney, Paramount, Fox, and WB do not allow some countries (including Indonesia) to manufacture their films’ DVDs. So, distributors have to pay more for the import process. Old Disney DVDs with original Disney holograms are awesome. All of my Disney-hologramed DVDs are still playable and flawless up until today though most of them are more than 10 years old. Newer Disney DVDs that I suspect is manufactured by Indonesian distributor, though, suck (They sell the film with the same old price, but they do not do import so more money for them!). These relatively new titles are broken already: The Muppets, Oz The Great and Powerful, Frankenweenie, Planes, Monsters University, etc. F***! Even the old Monsters, Inc. DVD is still in good condition!

Look, optical disc, indeed, virtually lasts forever with a condition: it’s perfectly manufactured! Everything on earth will eventually degrade and fade away. That’s the rule. Books from a thousand years ago are practically extinct. But hey, there are still few super-old books that preserved up until today and still gonna stay in good condition even thousands of year from now. Why? Because they take good care on these books. Think of old celluloid that need to be kept in a special chilled room. But still, none of these matters if the material used to make the stuff is terrible. I’m sure that DVD collectors do not really concern about the high price as long as the DVD is well manufactured, and they make the disc wholeheartedly. Screw them selling poor DVD with high price!

Well. Nothing we can do but to take precautions.


1.      Best DVD is the one with these words printed on the disc: SONY DADC. It’s usully the DVD from Paramount. I found broken Disney DVD, Warner Bros, even Fox and many other wings and dings whatever studios but none from Paramount. So, when Fox took DreamWorks from Paramount, suck! The Croods and Turbo of mine are broken already while Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, and even Chicken Run, basically all Dream Works movie under the licence of Paramount, work properly.

2.      If you want to keep your DVD (hey, it includes CD and BD), first you have to check your room. Please be a quite big air conditioned room. If not, well…

3.      When buying a shelf, make sure that it has anti-rot (and fungi) finishing, so you don’t have to worry about humidity and how it affect your shelf and eventually your collection (if you have a very limited space)


4.      It’s better for you to purchase silica gel. Put each sachet in each and every one of your collection. Unfortunately, you cannot put it in a CD and/or VCD jewel case, so you probably consider buying an electric dehumidifier.

5.      Once you put silica gel in each, it is now safe to wrap them with plastic (usually OPP plastic) -->Update: NO, do not put your collection in a plastic UNLESS you really have to. Plastic can trap moisture and that is not good for your DVD. So, if you still need plastic, be sure you really need it, for example, it's for steelbooks that get scratches easily. Still, you need to put silica gel first or be sure that your movie room has a DVD-friendly humidity level. You can also purchase specialized plastic package made for steelbook online (more of this update in my youtube video). -->Update: There are many types of DVD boxes. Those boxes with super slim design is not good for silica gel. If you put silica gel in the box and it makes the box unable to close tightly (leaves a small opening), then do not put silica gel or, put extra small silica gel pack so it will close tightly. 



6.      Watch your collection regularly so you know which one is broken and which one is fine. You can watch your least-favourite while cleaning your other DVDs or doing steps above so you don’t really watch them, just…checking. After you do all steps above, you can print a label or any kind of sign just using your own printer and a sticker paper. Print a label saying ‘Done’ or ‘OK’ or ‘Playable’, or whatever you like. Then, after you watch a DVD in a perfect condition, give it a sticker saying the sign. You don’t have to worry about the case because you already wrap them with plastic. Now, you can move to other movies.

Please, manufacturers, your business of making films in optical discs is dying. Consider this a sign, to make better DVDs. They probably making blank DVDs up until who knows when, we still sometimes need’em. But a movie on a disc? Bullshit. So, when I buy a DVD, I’m not buying the movie so you manufacturers have to give us something that cannot be obtained from Netflix or Disney Digital, or even YouTube like, hey, more special features (that really good! Like those in Titanic blu-ray, if you watch the HD documentaries on YouTube, you have to watch it chapter per chapter=at least that’s the last time I check which is years ago), better package design, more booklets and pages, and definitely better disc quality. Maybe someday you consider to put silica gel in every release. We all know how to get a movie. Just click or touch. But we want ‘more’ than just the movie. We today’s buyers are Anton Ego, so unless you wanna die, “surprise us!”  


And I consider myself not as a DVD collector. Well, I collect DVDs but I think it’s more than that. So, I made up a new term: DVD Archivist. So instead of just making a collection, I’m making an archive. And I think many of you are doing just the same. People might say that collecting DVDs is insane, but not archiving. There’s a more less-sophisticated reason in archiving than collecting. Well, I guess that's all and I hope this article is helpful. Thanks.

2021 update: Take a look at the imperfection on this DVD. Notice the massive gap? Not only this gap makes it easier for air to seep through and damage the disc, but also makes it possible for the disc to become unstable and makes it more difficult for players to read the data as it spins, resulting in skipping, freezing, and unredable data issues.


Private Collection